Many of us face the problem of dry hair. It breaks, it's easily damaged, and it's hard to style or care for, and it's a common problem. Many companies (big and small) have come up with solutions for dry hair, so there are lots of hair care products out there. That means that you're forced into a game of trial and error though, and that's a game we don't like to play when it comes to healthy hair. To help you narrow your search of products that will actually be the best shampoo for dry hair (instead of hoping they will be), we've compiled a comparison list of what to look at and why.
The Best Shampoo for Dry Hair
When you're looking for the right shampoo for your hair, there are a few things to keep in mind. Everyone's hair is different, and you probably know by now that what works for one person may not work for another. For that reason, it is important to consider the following questions before deciding on the best shampoo for dry hair for you.
1. What Is Shampoo for Dry Hair?
More importantly, what makes it different? Having dry hair doesn't necessarily mean that your hair is completely dry - you can still have oily roots after all. Typically, it means that either your hair is not getting the vitamins or minerals it needs to produce enough oil, or that the environment you're in is too dry and sucks the moisture out of your hair. Different dry hair shampoos will focus on either one or the other, typically (which is why you can try a shampoo for your dry hair and end up with greasy strands instead of well-moisturized locks).
2. What Ingredients Do I Want?
Some shampoos will advertise as effective on normal to dry hair, however, it is important to look at the ingredients to know for sure. Normal shampoo will include Ammonium Laureth Sulphate - an ingredient you don't want for dry shampoos, as it will probably be too rough and damaging on already damaged hair.
You'll want to make sure the shampoo you go with offers moisturizers (preferably more than one) like shea butter, coconut oil, or a plethora of other options. You'll also want ingredients to prevent UV or heat damage as those two often contribute to dry hair.
Try to avoid ingredients like sulfates, as these will probably only further damage your hair and make recovery harder and longer. Cheaper shampoos often offer harsh additives and chemicals instead of more expensive natural ingredients, so as a blanket statement, it is safer to go with a slightly pricier option.
3. Do You Need Color-Safe Shampoo?
There are no scientific clues to look for in the ingredient list for this section. It's just important to keep in mind if you have color-treated hair that there are color-safe shampoos out there for dry hair, so you don't need to compromise here.
4. Is Your Hair Frizzy?
Oftentimes, dry hair also means frizzy hair - and this can be exacerbated by the environment you live in. Some dry hair shampoos will help alleviate the frizz, while others will rely more on your styling products to do that. Whether or not this is a contributing factor to your overall decision is up to you, but it is good to keep in mind that dry and frizzy are only sometimes overlapping.
5. Why Is Your Hair Dry?
There are a few reasons that can be contributing to dry hair, and we'll go over them all so you can better aim your search at the best shampoo for dry hair that will actually work for you.
As many of us know, our diet and lifestyle can impact our health in many ways - and our hair is one of them. Not drinking enough water or getting enough crucial vitamins can and will damage our hair, as will not getting enough iron or folic acid. Smoking can also cause dry and brittle hair.
As we mentioned before, living in a dry environment can also be the cause of your dry hair. The air itself can be pulling moisture from your hair, and this is true for cold and windy environments too.
As many of us know, our diet and lifestyle can impact our health in many ways - and our hair is one of them.
If neither one of these situations applies to you, the cause for your dry hair may lie in how you are currently treating and styling it. Heat is a big contributor to damaged hair, so think about how often you blow dry, straighten, or curl your hair. Even with protective sprays or gels, excessive heat will still damage your hair. If you color or bleach your hair often, this will probably be the cause of your dry hair too, as the process strips the hair of its natural and essential oils each time.
Using a cheap shampoo can also cause damage, as it will have lots of strong chemicals and harsh additives that will dry out your hair and damage it over time. Make sure you're using conditioner too, as skipping this step can contribute to dry hair as well (conditioning is - by definition - a moisturizing step after all).
Finally, if none of that applies, you may just be genetically predisposed to dry hair. It's unfortunate news to hear, we know, but that doesn't mean there aren't products out there that can help just as much as if you were in any of the other categories. The best shampoo for dry hair (for YOUR dry hair) exists, we just need to narrow down the search.
How We Reviewed: The Best Shampoo for Dry Hair
We want this to be as painless and as straightforward as possible, so we came up with a short and sweet list of criteria to compare these shampoos against that go over the features and the price of each option. While this also keeps things simple, it will help highlight the important and unique features of each option, while also answering the above questions to help you find the best shampoo for dry hair.
Overall Price Range
Shampoo comes with many price tags, with or without the stipulation of dry hair (or curly, or volumed for that matter). Typically, shampoo will range from $ to $$, however, that is a wide price range, and we want to keep things simple, so we've narrowed it to about $ to $. With the prices forever changing on the market, we have abbreviated each option's price as follows: up to $ is $; to $ is $$, and to $ is $$$.
What We Reviewed
- REPAIR DAMAGED HAIR: WOW shampoo and conditioner set uses virgin coconut and avocado oil to rejuvenate weak, thin, or damaged hair or dry scalp. The formulation of both oils replenish lost nutrition that's vital in keeping strong, smooth hair.
- CLARIFYING, HEALTHY HAIR: Detoxify your hair and dry scalp to clear the buildups caused by dirt, filth, and style products. Apple cider vinegar removes filth that damages hair. Rich in vital protection to support healthier hair growth for men and women.
- MAXIMIZE HAIR STRENGTH: Improve your hair cleansing routine by using both to get the best long-lasting results. Enriched with essential keratin proteins, vitamins B5 & E, and saw palmetto extract to help moisturize, soften & strengthen hair strands.
- SLOW DOWN HAIR LOSS: Saw palmetto helps slow down hair fall and male pattern baldness, reducing the amount of hair strands falling during a shower. With a little patience, your hair will have more volume and will feel softer, thicker and natural.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Clarifying shampoo & hydrating conditioner set is hypoallergenic, leaving hair moisturized & soft. Less prone to breakage, split ends, and thinning hair by absorbing essential nutrients and vitamins.
This shampoo contains virgin coconut oil and avocado oil for moisture, as well as apple cider vinegar to detoxify and provide antioxidant protection to support healthier hair. Fatty acids, saw palmetto extract, and vitamins B5 and E are also added in to support healthier hair and to strengthen it.
This shampoo focuses on dry hair issues stemming from a dry scalp, so those with oily roots may not get the best results here. This shampoo is meant for men and women though and will target dry, itchy scalps as well as broken or damaged ends.
Where to Buy
No products found.
This is one product we warned you about if your hair is always dry. It contains Aluminum Laureth Sulphate, which can be damaging to dry hair. While there are some proteins and vitamins for moisturizing and strengthening dry hair, this shampoo is better left for those who only occasionally experience dry hair and don't need the extra moisture otherwise. This will likely be a good balance for mainly normal and just occasionally dry hair.
Where to Buy
- SAFE FOR COLORED AND KERATIN TREATED HAIR, WON'T STRIP. Preserve your treatment and protect your investment. Sulfate free and sodium chloride free shampoo and conditioner set recommended by professional stylists. Just what you've been searching for.
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS, CRUELTY FREE, CRAFTED IN THE USA. Why price shop? Sure there are cheaper Moroccan oil products (made in China), but LuxeOrganix puts your health and safety first. Contains no salt, parabens, gluten, drying alcohols or phthalates.
- (8 OZ SET) PERFECT FOR CURLY, FRIZZY OR DRY HAIR. See and feel the difference...stop wasting money on products you won't use. No one wants a sea of unused bottles stuffed under the sink. Now you can buy with confidence and get the results you want.
- PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE BUYING...WHAT OTHER BRANDS KEEP SECRET--> Some say parabens are safe. But studies now show, parabens mimic estrogen which have a proven link to breast cancer. Our recipe is paraben free! Beauty without sacrificing your health.
- WE STAND BEHIND OUR CUSTOMERS AND PRODUCTS. Experience the benefits of this moisturizing set for yourself. If you're not delighted, our team will assist you to find a solution. You see, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain so order today.
This is a good option for color-treated hair, as it will protect that color and protect hair against UV while it adds moisture. It contains Moroccan argan oil to add moisture and control frizz as well as vitamin B5 for nourishment and strength. These ingredients work well for curly hair too, as a side note. There are no harmful ingredients like paraben, sulfates, or sodium chloride either. This shampoo will also aid in dry or itchy scalps.
Where to Buy
- ARGAN REJUVENATING HAIR TREATMENT OIL is hypoallergenic and contains high quality pure argan oil. Gentle yet effective, our sulfate free Shampoo great for all hair types, including color treated hair.
- ARGAN KERATIN HAIR TREATMENT with Vitamin A B1 B2 D & E increases the strength of hair while eliminating frizz. The avocado oil jojoba & peach kernel rejuvenate the hair while nourishing the scalp.
- ARGAN OIL MOISTURE REPAIR SHAMPOO with no artificial colors or additives is made in a facility that exceeds cGMP levels. The best essential deep care hair pack for hair loss dry hair & flaking scalp.
- SMOOTHING HAIR ESSENCE VOLUMIZING SHAMPOO for color treated processed & natural hair. Our natural ingredients like silk protein & phytokeratin promote frizzy damaged hair repair for healthier hair.
- PURE ARGAN OIL SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER work best together to create rejuvenated revitalized healthy luscious locks. Our hair growth bundle thickens & strengthens your hair as it alleviates shedding.
This shampoo focuses on dry hair caused by a dry scalp, and it is a deep treatment, so oily roots may not agree with it. It is safe for color-treated and natural hair and provides vitamins A, B1, B2, D, and E for added strength as well as frizz control. Avocado oil, jojoba, and peach kernel aid in moisturizing the scalp and hair. Argan oil and silk protein aid in frizz management as well as moisture and repair.
Where to Buy
- Dandruff Shampoo - Our hydrate shampoo is a powerful hair moisturizer that penetrates deep into your scalp to help reduce the appearance of dandruff and flakes from the source and nourish the hair
- Hair Growth Serum - Embrace the hair care benefits of essential oils like lavender oil which can help fight hair loss and promote natural hair regrowth while almond oil promotes stronger follicles
- Keratin Hair Treatment - Enjoy visibly thicker hair with our keratin shampoo and hair protein treatment. Our volumizing shampoo fortifies hair from the roots and encourages natural hair growth
- Clarifying Shampoo - This isn't just a hair growth shampoo our cleansing oil hair serum tackles your scalp problems with essential oils to clear a pathway and create the ideal environment for hair
- Sulfate Free Shampoo - No need for harsh chemicals and ingredients when there's a natural shampoo with Lavender essential oil Keratin Almond oil and Jojoba oil for a guilt-free hair care solution
This is meant for men and women who have issues with dry hair due to a dry scalp and dandruff. It is designed for sensitive skin with no paraben, sulfate, or other harsh ingredients. Carrot oil, parsley seed, silk peptides, and almond oil promote moisture as well as healthy hair growth and repair. Jojoba and botanical keratin help tame frizz and minimize shedding.
Where to Buy
- This intense moisturizing shampoo gently cleanses hair leaving it extremely moisturized, soft and shiny
- This is formulated with aloe, cupuacu butter and apricot kernel oil to help control volume
- This is also suitable for color treated hair
This shampoo focuses more on dry hair than a dry scalp. Using aloe, cupuacu butter, and apricot kernel for frizz and volume control, as well as moisture, this option is paraben free and safe for color-treated hair.
Where to Buy
- MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO FOR DRY damaged hair + dandruff nourishes your hair with pure botanical oils. This hydrating vitamin shampoo contains Jojoba + Carrot Oil plus Silk Amino Acids to make hair soft.
- THERAPEUTIC MOISTURE THERAPY leaves your dry hair soft and smooth. Revitalize dull hair with this hair treatment with Pro-Vitamin B5 Lavender Oil & Parsley for a shine inducing herbal shampoo.
- HEALING DRY SCALP TREATMENT is infused with Jojoba oil for which helps tame frizzy dry hair and flaky scalp. Silk amino acids work to smooth and strengthen strands and promote healthy hair growth.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR TYPES + textures including fine + thick hair as well as curly straight + wavy hair. This shampoo is hypoallergenic sulfate + paraben free! It is safe for color treated hair.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE our Super Food conditioning shampoo for men and women is backed by our money back guarantee! It is produced in a facility in the USA and is cruelty free!
This treatment comes packed with lots of ingredients for dry hair that is damaged, splitting, and shedding. It uses avocado oil, peach kernel oil, and botanical keratin to fight frizz and split ends, while also using Camilla seed oil and almond oil for a healthy scalp. Vitamins A, B, D, and E along with silk protein aid in revitalizing hair and strengthening it against further damage. This shampoo is light enough for sensitive skin and can be used on curly and color-treated hair as well.
Where to Buy
- Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and conditioner are a dandruff fighting duo that contain an abundance of natural essential oils on top of the antiseptic and antifungal tea tree oil base. Both shampoo and conditioner nourish and protect hair and scalp.
- Anti-Dandruff Shampoo - Contains potent natural ingredients effective against dandruff. This shampoo works by clearing away dead skin cells while the lavender soothes itchy scalp making it the perfect environment to grow long and strong hair.
- Hydrating Conditioner - this tea tree conditioner for dry and damaged hair not only helps reduce dandruff but contains nourishing amino acids and essential vitamins to smooth and repair curly hair thinning hair and hair that is frizzy and or brittle.
- Safe And Effective - Tea Tree oil sourced from select Australian steam distillation plants to ensure the highest level of quality and purity. Produced in a facility which exceeds cGMP standards as well as sulfate free paraben free and cruelty free.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - If for any reason at all you are unsatisfied with your singular purchase of Maple Holistics Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner set you are eligible for a full no-questions-asked refund in its entirety.
This set is best used for dry scalps that have issues with dandruff. Essential oils work with antiseptic and antifungal tea tree oil to fight dandruff, nourish the scalp, and protect hair. Lavender soothes the scalp while the tea tree oil's amino acids and vitamins smoothe and repair curly, frizzy, or brittle hair. This shampoo is also gentle enough for sensitive skin and color-treated hair.
Where to Buy
The Verdict: The Best Shampoo For Dry Hair
There are quite a few options here to look through, but they each have a niche within the "dry hair" category that they work best in. While we can't tell you what your hair specifically needs and thereby crown the best shampoo for dry hair (that is up to you), we can give some guided suggestions.
If you have a dry and itchy scalp as well as dry hair and dandruff, try the Tea Tree Oil shampoo. Not only is this option budget friendly, but it's also natural (so no compromise there). Granted, while this shampoo has ingredients to help aid in split ends and tame the frizz, it focuses more on the scalp, so it's best suited for those who have dry hair because their scalp is dry and not providing the needed oils.
If you're okay spending a little more to get a little more, go for the WOW Apple Cider Vinegar shampoo. It will still aid in dandruff and itchy scalps, but it will also provide more vitamins and moisture for the rest of your hair as well.
If you don't have issues with a dry scalp but still have problems with the rest of your hair being dry, try the Moroccan Oil shampoo. It has lots of needed moisturizers as well as protective vitamins to prevent breakage as well as stop future damage.
Finally, if your hair ranges more towards normal but has dry days, shoot for the Nexxus shampoo. It may not be the best shampoo for dry hair, but it will certainly work well for normal hair with off days.